Connect Group Questions
February 19, 2023 – Week 3 – Jesus in the Galilee (Section 30)
Playing, Praying, and Growing together
Last weeks service
This Weeks ?’s
- When have you ever done something you thought was brave, but turned out to be stupid?
REBUILD THE SERMON:
- What stuck out to you in this week’s sermon?
- Read Mark 1:14-15. Does anyone remember the backstory or immediate context of these verses?
[LEADER HINT]: Jesus was close to John (in the south). Jesus goes up to Capernaum (Matthew 4:12-17) in the north. Right next to Herod Antipas’ capital Tiberius and on the boarder of his brother’s, Phillip, territory. (two worldly kings). Also recall a few sermons ago Kent talked about Jesus copying John’s style, forgiving of sins through baptism).
- Why did Jesus go there? Matthew 4:12-17
[LEADER HINT]: Jesus was fulfilling what Isaiah prophesied (Isaiah 9:1-2)
- So, was Jesus being brave or stupid? Consider where he is and the message he is preaching (Mk 1:15, Mt 4:17)
- Can anyone think of someone else, in the bible or more modern, who was extraordinarily brave for their faith? Kent mentioned 3 from the New Testament.
- Why do they do it?
[LEADER HINT]: Mt 4:16. Kent said its because the kingdom of God is an eternal kingdom, it extends into heaven, but it starts in the here and now. Christians have been willing to give up their lives so others might experience it.
- In order to find ways for us to be this brave, we just need to look to our church’s mission. Does anyone remember it?
[LEADER HINT]: Advancing the Kingdom by living for God and loving people.
- What would it look like to live this out?
[LEADER HINT]: “We would stop being a consumer and start being a contributor.”
- Go deeper here. Steer the conversation towards how each one of us can contribute. When people say ‘we’ referring to the corporate church, steer it towards ‘I’ as an individual.
What steps can you take this week towards living more for God and loving people more?
- OPTIONAL GROUP CHALLENGE: How can your group love on a group of a people outside of our church one time this semester? If your group wants to do this, have someone (not the leader or host) to take on the coordination of this.
Submit a Prayer
Does your group have a prayer request that you think would be helpful for our care ministry team to know about and be praying for? Submit it below:
Our church has an INCREDIBLE care ministry team. They regularly pray over the needs in our church and contact those who need care. If you need prayer, please submit your request here.